We are looking for a small number of high-potential people who can bring their enthusiasm, careful approach and ability-to-learn to a role that offers extensive on-the-job training that will ultimately lead to them becoming highly skilled bakery operatives with a range of transferable skills.
Based at Pieminister Kitchens, BS10, successful candidates will cook the fillings for our award-winning pies. It’s a skill to prepare batches according to detailed recipes and we need new colleagues capable of following instructions, assessing quality and completing associated records to deliver well-prepared food with consistency.
Experience of working in a production environment is desirable but not essential. We’re looking for someone with an eye for detail as well as time-management skills to ensure we continue to efficiently produce safe, great-quality food. Food safety and health & safety should always be at the forefront of the operator’s mind to help preserve and enhance our reputation. We are looking for people that take pride in their work, will be confident following agreed procedures and with an ability to keep a cool head in a hot and demanding environment. Being flexible with working hours is desirable, especially during our busier winter months.
- To follow all training and operating procedures as instructed by the company and to raise with a manager any changes to a procedure that occur or are required
- Where trained, to ensure that the necessary paperwork is completed to a high standard to aid traceability and due diligence
- To maintain high levels of food safety standards when handling food including temperature control, storage conditions and correct use of PPE
- Maintain high standards of quality, hygiene, health and safety in line with company specifications
- To ensure that the standards of cleanliness and house-keeping are within the guidelines laid down in the company procedures
- To report all accidents and take the necessary preventative action as well as being proactive in raising potential health and safety issues through our hazard reporting system
- To be able to communicate effectively both verbally and non-verbally at all levels
- To be flexible within the role and within the unit departments, to take on any other duties as and when required
- Excellent attitude and ability to follow instruction from management
- Keen eye for detail especially with written paperwork
- An ability to notice and avoid potential H&S hazards as well as aid in reporting them
- Willing and able to follow complex instructions
- The job can be quite physically demanding so having energy and enthusiasm is essential
- Unfazed by warm and steamy environment
- Comfortable working with foods including meat and dairy
- A good communicator and able to work independently and alongside colleagues
- Cool under time pressure but unwilling to take short-cuts. Good time management when cooking.
- Numerate and literate with the ability to complete paperwork accurately and legibly
- Experience of work in commercial kitchens or food manufacturing
- A keen cook at home with a good understanding of raw materials
- Previous health and safety and food safety training certificates
- Keen to build on experiences with new transferable skills
- £10 per hour
- Performance-based bonus and company bonus
- Clear path for remuneration increases
- Pie Day Friday – lunch on us every week
- Staff discount on pies and meals
- Chance to get involved with all of our charitable activity
- Free Pie Feast vouchers to try out the restaurant menu
To apply send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference: Cook/Kitchen Operative.
Pieminister is a multi-channel business developing pies (and other products) for Pieminister’s own restaurants and cafes, leading supermarkets, independent retailers, delis, and so on.
17 years from launch, Pieminister is still a family-owned business making c.5 million pies a year. Pieminister is the UK’s only national pie company to use 100% free-range British meat and the provenance of ingredients is a key part of what Pieminister stand for.
In 2020 we defined our ‘Pies, Planet, People’ agenda which lays out how we will make positive transformational changes for the good of the planet by 2025. Anyone working at Pieminister should expect to be engaged and challenged in working towards these stretching objectives.
Like many businesses, the pandemic has presented some significant challenges for us to overcome. However, tireless efforts on COVID-security and re-shaping the business to thrive in the future means that we are financially fit and ready to leap towards significant growth once more.
The working environment at Pieminister is fast-paced, varied, high-energy and we have lots of fun along the way. We don’t wear suits, but we are serious about business and our ambition to be the UK’s most loved pie brand.