Courgette & Chickpea filo pie recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- a small bunch of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- a small bunch of thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 200g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 sheets of filo pastry
- olive oil for brushing
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook for 3–4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and courgettes and cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly coloured. Stir in the chilli, rosemary and thyme. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
Heat the oven to 160°C/320°F/gas mark 3. Lay out a sheet of filo pastry on a work surface and brush with olive oil, then scrunch it up loosely so it looks like a rose. Drop it on top of the filling and repeat with the remaining filo to cover the dish. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until the filling is thoroughly heated through. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes longer, until the pastry is golden. This pie tastes great with houmous.